Thursday, December 15, 2005

New Features in Gmail

Just off the digg.com presses, Gmail has a couple of new features that should make it more attractive to people used to an Outlook environment.

One, is the ability to create contact groups.  So you can make a group of all of the cool kids you email funny videos to, and make sharing bizarro humor all the more simple.

The other feature is the ability to create a "I'm on vacation" message that will auto-reply to people when they try to send you something.  I hadn't seen this feature anywhere else until I started working with Outlook at my new job.  I don't think this ability is really necessary, but I'm sure some people would scoff at Gmail for not having it.  Well scoff no more!

At my new help-desk position, around 50% of the calls we get are email related, and a majority of those calls are problems with either Outlook, or Outlook Web Access.  If the people with these problems had a bit more knowledge and time, I would be really tempted to set up a Gmail account for them and have them use it. 

Really, the 20 Mb limit on KU's student emails is a joke.  2.6 gigs would allow people the freedom they need in how they save emails.  Plus, I've already heard the "I accidentally deleted my entire inbox, save me" line too many times.  With Gmail, you could say "ok, click on "All Mail" see the messages you lost?  great!"

And Outlook Web Access DOES NOT have a "select all" feature, which makes transferring emails from one place to another very tedious.

Now I just need to figure a way to have Gmail connect to the KU Exchange Server, and everyone would be happy.