Friday, November 11, 2005

I hate Criptically Simple Solutions

So my friend has had an iBook for probably over a year now, and his airport card has been flaky at best for most of that time. I installed tiger on it with all the updates, we messed with the hardware itself, plugging it in and cursing at it, and what not. But the problem only got worse.

We tried everything I could find, but he finally told me to switch it back to panther, when the computer could at least get on some of the time.

So I had it backing up his documents, and I was getting ready to wipe and install, when I decided to check my friend google one more time. Among the hundreds of people with similar sounding problems, but no working solutions, I found one person on a forum with the exact same problems as we did. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and he finds out the antenna that plugs into the airport card wasn't pushed in all the way... You have to really snap it in.

Damn it if that didn't fix our problem too. The apple "genius's" who upgraded his ram never plugged the airport card in correctly, and our messing with the system is what caused even more problems. This solution is far too simple to ever be found. The antenna looked plugged in when it wasn't, and it just took some brute force to correct. This isn't how computer problems should be solved! Stupid airport antenna, why didn't they just build the antenna port into the regular connection?

Simple problems like these are the hardest to solve, as all it takes is desperation.