Friday, November 04, 2005

Everyone should read "A List Apart"

If I had just an inkling of talent for it, all I would want to do with the rest of my life is design websites.  Of course I am currently working towards more practical and better suited careers for myself. However, website design is just something that is inexplicably fascinating to me, and if was good at it, I would make a career out of it.

Regardless of artistic talent, we can all aspire to be website snobs.  Being a website snob takes very little talent, and just a little background reading about how websites should look and act.  A List Apart is where I go to learn about proper website design.  It is a beautiful resource filled with articles written by website designers for website designers.  Read a few of these essays, and you'll start to understand the infinite complexity of website design, or at least how picky some people can be.

And then try out your website snobbery:  when you see a site written in all flash, scoff at it and then point and laugh with others around you.  When a site is using tables instead of CSS exclaim "How crude!" to whomever is nearest to you.  Soon everyone will know you are an expert website critic.

Maybe that's what I'll become someday, a website critic.  They have movie/food/music critics, why not website critics?
I'll get my own column in the Lawrence.com paper.  And they'll increase my bandwidth limit too, so I can review more sites... A perfect plan!